Working for a cheese company, I get a lot of variety and a lot of opportunities for free cheese. And Mr. Lumberjack got a recent job at a cheese company too, so we got double the cheesiness.
Since I had an opened block of aged cheddar sitting in a moist Ziploc and half a bag of shredded mozzarella, I decided eh…why not just throw it in a pot…my favorite style of cooking.
This recipe is so easy to cook and has some pow to that dish. It is all in the spices. Of course, I threw in some broccoli so I could feel better on clogging my arteries. Don’t stop, won’t stop am I right?
As always, dress it how you want. Recipes are meant to be tampered with. I like my Mac and cheese nice and cheesy, so I did a higher cheese to milk ratio. You have the foundation now, so do you boo boo.
Mac N’ Cheese
Makes 4 servings
2.5 tbs salted butter
2.5 tbs flour
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 tbs nutmeg
.5 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs dried oregano
1 cup shredded mozarella
2 cups shredded aged cheddar
2 cups broccoli florets
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni as instructed on box for al dente noodles. Drain the noodles.
- In a large pan, melt the butter. Mix in flour to make a rue.
- Mix in milk and stir until all lumps are gone.
- Stir in nutmeg, cayenne pepper, dried oregano and all of the cheese.
- After the cheese is melted, toss in noodles and mix well.
- Throw in broccoli florets and season with salt and pepper.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then serve.