I have another DIY for you. If you haven’t already figured it out, I am pretty cheap. I like to save money where I can, especially when I see how ridiculous some of these décor pieces cost. Basically, my attitude is “might as well do it yourself.”
So my condo was originally supposed to take on a mid-century modern/industrial vibe. But some boho has snuck inside my home. I can be so hippy, so it was bound to happen. I saw macramé as a cool, organic way to add a different texture to the wall behind my bed.
In stores, the really ugly, disheveled ones were anywhere from $50-$75. The beautiful, intricate ones could be anywhere from $150-$200. However, sometimes they were very small.
I headed to my handy resource, YouTube, and watched a couple of designs. I found this feather-looking one by Let it Be. The rope tying is fairly simple, and the end result is something classy. After spending hours on this, I must admit that macramé is very labor-intensive. Also, don’t work on the floor like I did. My back hurt so bad.
Alright, so you can watch the video I used below. Let it Be has some other great designs as well if you’re up for the challenge.
So mine didn’t look as fully and luscious as hers. Also, mine wasn’t as stiff as hers. I had to do a couple of extra steps to get mine look decent.
- I used a birch branch, instead of a dowel. I felt like the birch added some dimension off the wall and also it was long, so it stretched across the bed frame. I got mine for $10 at CB2.
- I used 4 mm rope throughout the whole project. I personally do not like to buy in excess with things I’ll never use again. I don’t think it makes a big difference in the final product. If you’re not anal like me, feel free to use her exact materials.
- Not only did I brushed and flat ironed the leaves, I also ironed and hairspray them.
- I traced a leave on cardboard and used that as guide to trim the leaves, so most of them were uniform.
- I used fabric stiffener and diluted it (2 cups water per 3 TBS stiffener). I took a sponge and dabbed them on the leaves as they laid on a flat surface. Let it dry completely.
- I used 3 inch, heavy duty, black J-brackets. The ones I saw at home depot were too long. I did 3 inches to provide some leeway for the curve of the branch against the wall. I got the brackets from an Etsy vendor, BrownellnCo.
That’s it. It’s an absolute beauty on my wall. I hope you give this a try. This project is very forgiving. If you mess up, just clip off a stem and retry.
Feature Photo by Anete Lusina from Pexels.
Love to decor. I loved this post equally. I have also posted a blog on wall decor. Would be so glad if you visit my site. Thank you. 🌼
Of course, I think learning from others is great. I have tons of wall space in my condo, so there are a lot of opportunities to add something fun.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Absolutely right, in my next post I’ll be creating Polaroids. Im excited. 😁Hope you will like it💖🌼